FELLING OUR FEELINGS

FELLING OUR FEELINGS

Postby drlynch on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 pm

"Feeling Our Feelings" By Eva Brann

[from Amazon:
Editorial Reviews
Product Description

In Feeling Our Feelings, Eva Brann considers what the great philosophers on the passions and feelings have thought and written about them. She examines the relevant work of Plato, Aristotle, the Stoics, Aquinas, Descartes, Spinoza, Adam Smith, Hume, Kierkegaard, and Heidegger, and also includes a chapter on contemporary studies on the brain. Feeling Our Feelings provides a comprehensive look at this pervasive and elusive topic.]

Eva Brann is a member of the senior faculty at St. John's College in Annapolis, Maryland, where she has taught for fifty years. She holds an MA in classics and a PhD in archaeology from Yale University.]

Dear all,

I am working my way through, what seems so far, an excellent treatise on the history of our emotional lives at least in the Western Tradition. In the spirit of full disclosure I recount that I was in a correspondence with its author Eva Brann of St. John's College concerning Affect Theory for about just exactly a year. As it happened she was writing this book on "feelings" at the time.

Ms. Brann is the longest serving tutor at St. John's College. I had her for a semester as a tutor and thus our reconnection.

She is a careful scholar and this is about her twelfth book and she was a National Humanities Medal Winner a few years ago.

I am pleased to say that due to our conversations she has included several passages concerning Silvan Tomkins, especially his work on "interest" and quotes Don Nathanson.

If anyone knows anything about St. Johns College they might know that it is based on a fairly fixed reading list or "canon" of "Great Books". A goal of mine is to get Tomkins on that list and it started with getting a letter to the editor published in the school paper several years ago about Tomkins and stating that goal. This is a small step towards reaching it. Maybe a few more will now pay attention.

drlynch
drlynch
Site Admin

Return to FEELING OUR FEELINGS