Status of "HOW TO GET WHERE YOU WANT TO GO"

Status of "HOW TO GET WHERE YOU WANT TO GO"

Postby drlynch on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:06 pm

To All:

This book has been out of print now for several months.

It is now back in print under a new title "Knowing Your Emotions" and can be found on Amazon and can be found with a companion volume "Doing - Thinking - Feeling: In The World. See: http://brianlynchmd.com/AT/book.html

As always it is never too late or too early to start a discussion on these or any other book listed or suggest some other book. If you note too I have started a Facebook page that might be more to your liking but you have to ask to get on board. Facebook = http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120156811367884&ref=ts

Dr. Lynch
drlynch
Site Admin

Re: Status of "HOW TO GET WHERE YOU WANT TO GO"

Postby Janann on Wed May 11, 2011 5:30 am

I am excited ---so excited by the feeling of joy I feel--because I have come to realize that that my emotions are the foundation of who I am and I do, indeed, have choices every minute of every day of how I act on my emotions----especially when they are feelings of hurt, anger, sadness. I don't have to stay feeling that way and at the same time recognize that the emotions that feel negative aren't necessarily bad, but an important vehicle to me being complete. I lived in shame and humiliation for so long that I didn't really even comprehend that there was a life beyond that. I even made sure that I surrounded myself with people that would keep me in my place if I tried to step beyond shame. Wow, what a realization---I knew exactly who to choose to knock the shit out of me--just in case I started getting excited about life which meant I was taking interest and feeling some tidbits of joy. Today I have decided to take life for a spin...surround myself with people that encourage me to become the person I am meant to be...today I can acknowledge that I am human and give myself a break from that illusion of grandeur--being the perfect person. It is like a ton of weight is off me. It makes it so much easier when I know I don't have to let my anger control me and create chaos, or I don't have to live in my sadness to a point I create even more chaos which led to me feeling like my whole life was always out of control and then I would feel like I had no choice but to act out some sort of self destructive behavior....and I felt so comfortable saying screw everyone, screw myself and fall into whatever behavior would hurt me the most and keep me in bed the longest. Then I could think--yep,,I am a failure...I am the loser that everyone has said I am.
Making new choices has been hard, because it is like building up a muscle that hasn't been used before, or rarely used. Each time I do make new choices about how I am going to think and act, it gets easier. Reading the 12 steps about learning has helped me immensely. I have such a love for learning and always feel such great joy when I am learning....it is difficult for me to forgive myself for all the times that I have failed at it. I believe through working these steps and doing a good fourth step and then really letting go and forgiving myself, that I can start living in today and not in the past.
Janann

Return to KNOWING YOUR EMOTIONS