psychology

psychology

Postby bannexy on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:43 am

What are the different types of psychology? Can someone please explain these, I'm still in high school but I'm planning on going to college for psychology. Then yesterday I realized that there are more than one type of psychology. What are the different types and whats makes them different from each other?
Last edited by bannexy on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bannexy

Re: psychology

Postby drlynch on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:22 am

Hello and thanks for posting on this page. Your question is a good one and one that should be asked by anyone that is entering the field of Psychology. It is certainly a broad field. It's roots can be traced back to ancient philosophy. It comes directly out of ancient philosophy. It is the study of how we think and the study of the mind. The first PhD,as I understand it, was given to William James in the late 19th century. Since then it has become very much a distinct discipline, distinct from philosophy and to be sure there have been many, many schools of psychology. Many competing schools of psychology and psychology needs to be made distinct from psychiatry. Psychiatry is the medical art, the clinical art of treating mental patients. Psychiatry overlaps to a certain extent with psychology and its art and vice a versa. Psychology can employ psychiatry and there are clinical psychologists. Where do we start? You can get a bachelors degree in psychology then a masters degree in psychology and then a PhD. You need not have a preceding degree to get the later. Then you can get various types of Phd’s such as I stated you can become a “Clinical Psychologist” and treat patients on the level of, essentially, a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are MD’s however, or a straight PhD where you would teach or do research. Of course Masters level treat patients too especially people with Masters in Social work. So as you see it is a mixed bag.

As for “schools of thought” there have been and are many. For example the 20th century started with Freudian thought Jung and Mr. Adler. People who saw patients and based their writings on mostly what they saw in the clinic but also on their theoretical thinking but at this point there was no experimentation or laboratory work done. This is a great drawback in their work and this is the great criticism in much of psychology all through the century and then again it's very hard to do research in psychology. Then through the mid part of the century we have people like BF Skinner the behaviorist and then others such as Carl Rogers and Erik Erikson.

In the later part of the century therapist didn’t tend to stick to any one type of therapy but where “eclectic” and still tend to be. That is they draw form whatever seems to help in their patients feeling that no one theorists has the answer.

There are all types psychologists:Pure theoretical to applied industrial psychology. People that tell us that soft purple walls make a better work environment than prison grey. Then psychology applied, of course, to advertising, criminology and the military. As things have gone along we have gleaned a set of what is called general psychological principles. These belong to no one school. We have solidified a great deal of findings about the human mind. These findings cut across competing theories. This is why there are standard courses in introductory psychology. There is a basic science of psychology these are the principles you would learn in the basic psychology courses in, say, the undergraduate degree, that core knowledge however is not as great or is broad as people might think it is. It is growing rapidly however. The big problem comes with what we discuss here and that is the debate about cognition and about feeling what we discuss here is “Affect Psychology” it has been a little known but we're trying to make it more known. It was developed by Silvan Tompkins. I won't go into a great deal of detail because that's what the whole site is about and if you're interested you can cruise the site and check us out on Facebook @ but it claims that emotions and our feelings ( our affect) are on equal grounding with are reason and in fact Guide reason much more than our reason guides our feelings and this is pretty hard going in this world where the dominant culture is the one of pushing reason and emphasizing reason and saying that that basically we believe that reason can control everything. At least I feel that so what I would say if you are really interested in psychology we would certainly encourage you to check out Silvan Thompkin’s “Affect Psychology.” There is my work, my a few small works, as an induction. This and other web pages. Don Nathanson's “Shame and Pride.” That would be the introductory literature. Like any subject matter you have to learn the basics and become literate in the general principles and learn the basics of everyone's ideas. In college a basic understanding of the nervous system and courses in ancient philosophy I think are important to understand where this all came from.

I hope you stick around and stay with us for a while or for a long time.
At least check in from time to time.

Best luck. Dr. Lynch
drlynch
Site Admin

Return to PSYCHOHISTORY AND AFFECT PSYCHOLOGY